Saturday, April 22, 2017

I am sure I have read this bunches of times.

I never realized.

I have heard referenced most of my life the comparison of faith to a grain of mustard seed.

Only two gospels (Matthew and Luke) record the faith comparison, but three gospels record the Lord Jesus' words comparing a mustard seed to the kingdom of God (Matthew, Mark, and Luke).

"Then He said, 'What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and put in his garden; and it grew and became a large tree, and the birds of the air nested in its branches'" (Luke 13:18-19).

Why is this significant to those of us praying for prodigals? Because our part is the part of the man: to plant a small seed. Just as God does the rest in growing a mustard tree, He grows the kingdom if we plant the seed. Mark records more explanations of the kingdom in chapter 4, verses 26 through 29:
"And He said, 'The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed on the ground, and should    sleep by night and rise by day, and the seed should sprout and grow, he himself does not know how. For the earth yields crops by itself: first the blade, then the head, after that the full grain in the head. But when the grain ripens, immediately he puts in the sickle, because the harvest has come.'"

We plant. God grows. We reap.

Father, I have planted seeds in the life of my prodigal. I pray that they will fall on good ground, and that You will cause those seeds to grow into full-blown kingdom of God in his/her life. I am eagerly awaiting harvest time! Use me as You want! In Jesus' name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment